Do you have valuable stock that needs transporting to your distributors or customers? Stock damaged during transit can be costly to replace and is a common reason for claims on commercial insurance.
There are a number of precautionary measures that may help reduce the incidence of transit-damaged stock:
• Use a reputable transportation professional who has experience with the type of stock you are moving
• Ensure goods are adequately protected with appropriate padding
• Make sure fragile or heavy items are clearly labeled
• Ensure loads are secured properly during transit
• Wrap items in plastic wrap to minimize water damage
In addition to the possibility of breakage, transported goods can be in danger of theft, exposure to extreme temperatures and insect infestation. It may also be beneficial to consider doing the following when preparing stock for transit:
• Spray packaging with insecticide if appropriate and safe
• Use insulated packaging to protect against cold temperatures
• Hire a refrigerated truck if necessary to prevent heat damage to goods.
• For the transportation of valuable stock consider taking additional security measures to deter theft
By protecting your stock you are protecting your most valuable commodity – your business. You may even be able to reduce the chances of a future claim for transit damaged stock on your NJ business insurance policy.